photo Jane Richmond_zpsux4wawxl.png

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Off My Needles: Rae

After knitting and frogging my Aestlight project I was on a mission to create a very simple scarf, a triangular shawl really, that could be worn around the neck with minimal bulk at the triangle's peak. 

Inspired by all of the silk and cotton scarves, a staple in the west coasters summer wardrobe, I wanted to knit a summer scarf that had a similar overall look and feel. Lace felt too formal and knitting the triangular portion of the Aestlight shawl was so enjoyable, keeping it simple was exactly how I wanted to approach this design.



Rae is a long triangular scarf that is just the right length to wrap around the neck once. The garter stitch is knit at a looser gauge which creates a fun and stretchy fabric that drapes really nicely. I designed this knit for cooler summer nights and coastal breezes but this scarf is really an all year long scarf.


Since designing Motley last April I've stopped wearing all of my other scarves because I fell in love with the size and weight of it. I love a scarf that can keep you warm but doesn't add any bulk under a fall or winter coat.   

 
Gauge
24 sts and 32 rows = 4 in over st st 

Finished Measurements
55 x 12 inches

Materials
• 115g skein of SweetGeorgia Yarns Cashluxe Fine (shown in Saffron) 375 yds
• 4 mm needles
• Removable Stitch Marker
• Yarn Needle


    ...or wear it as a shawl :)


    ::: Is anyone else enjoying some summer knitting? ...Anyone part of the Summer Sweater KAL over on luvinthemommyhood?

    4 comments:

    1. love it!!! it looks great! have you started your sweater for the KAL then? i'm about 3.5 inches past the armholes now.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I've been looking for a pattern to use with some soft yarn that I got!! I'll have to give it a try

      ReplyDelete
    3. Beautiful! Can't wait to give this one a try!

      ReplyDelete
    4. I'm definitely enjoying summer knitting. It's pleasant to knit in the winter when your project can keep you warm, but I'll take outdoor, grass stains, soak-up-the-sunshine knitting any day.

      Cute shawl, by the way! Those skinny triangular ends hanging out of your coat make me want to tie one knot in each of them for some bonus added texture. :)

      ReplyDelete